Earth Day 2011 is a week away. Do you have plans? Are you organizing or attending an event? No worries if you are not, there is plenty to be done to help the planet just in your day to day life around the house/yard and neighborhood.
A few suggestions:
1. Buy organic. Support producers who take care of the environment by not using synthetic (manmade) chemicals, fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides.
2. Use less water. This one can also help save you money on your utility bill and (if applicable) add years to your septic system. Run the dishwasher and clothes washer only when full. Shorten your shower by a minute or two, this can save over 100 gallons of water a month. Turn the tap off while brushing your teeth. Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your driveway.
3. Turn the lights off in a room when you are not in it. Better yet, use daylight and keep the lights off when you don’t need them.
4. Once your computer, phone, etc. is charged unplug it and turn the charger off.
5. Leave the car parked and walk or bike to the supermarket. Don’t forget your reusable bag so you can forego the plastic ones.
6. Drink tap water instead of bottled water.
For more great ideas visit this site.