Maple Upside-Down Cake
- 8 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Coombs Family Farms pure maple syrup
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples, cored, unpeeled and cut into 1?2 inch rings
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream or crème fraiche
Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt 4 Tbsp butter in an 8 or 9-inch, low-sided skillet. Add maple syrup to melted butter. Simmer over medium heat for five minutes. Remove from heat (if using ginger, add to mixture at this time). Arrange apple slices decoratively in the skillet, as close together as possible without overcrowding. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt In a large bowl, cream the remaining 4 T butter with 1/2 cup sugar and egg yolks until light and fluffy. Add milk and dry ingredients, alternately, to the butter mixture.
In a clean bowl beat egg whites until stiff; beat in remaining 1?2 cup sugar. Fold egg white mixture gently into batter mixture until just blended. Spread batter evenly over apples. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove pan from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Invert cake from pan onto serving plate. Serve cake warm with whipped cream or crème fraiche.
Maple Whipped Cream
This is a treat any time of the year. The unique color and light flavor of Maple Whipped Cream makes it versatile for any table. Add 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts for a Puff Pastry filling or topping for Fruit of Cake.
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz.) heavy cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup (to taste) Coombs Family Farms pure maple syrup, -or- 1/2 to 1 cup Coombs Family Farms pure maple sugar
Whip cream, fold in maple.