Table Syrup Ingredients vs. Maple Syrup Nutrition: 5 Points You Should Know
- Researchers have found new evidence that soft drinks sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup (the main syrup ingredient used in fake maple syrup) may contribute to the development of diabetes, particularly in children.
- Studies published in 2003 and 2005 by the National Institute of Health’s National Toxicology Program found that the chemicals in caramel coloring (used in table syrup) caused cancer in some mice and rats.
- Other chemicals and preservatives used in table syrup ingredients include celluose gum, caramel color, sodium benzoate and sorbic acid, artificial and natural flavors, and sodium hexametaphosphate.
- Maple syrup ingredients? Any syrup that has more than one ingredient is not pure maple syrup.
- Log Cabin was the first brand to market “breakfast syrup” in 1887, and at the time it contained 45% maple syrup. Its most expensive product today contains a mere 4% – and virtually no maple syrup nutrition.