By Alanna Taylor-Tobin | The Bojon Gourmet
Dessert for breakfast! These healthfully decadent carrot cake pancakes are loaded with grated carrots, walnuts, hearty oat flour, and spices, and they’re naturally gluten-free to boot. Don’t forget to pass the maple stream at the table for extra maple goodness.
Makes 12-14 pancakes; 3-4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 large egg
2 tablespoons Coombs pure maple syrup
1 cup buttermilk, well shaken
1 tablespoon sunflower oil or other neutral oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups packed finely grated carrots
1 cup gluten-free oat flour
¼ cup sweet rice flour (or GF all-purpose flour blend)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ cup toasted walnuts or pecans, plus extra for serving
Sunflower oil or other high-heat neutral oil, for cooking
½ cup mascarpone
¾ cup cold heavy cream
1 tablespoon maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
Pinch fine sea salt
Coombs maple stream, for serving
Shaved carrots, for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, maple syrup, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla to combine.
- Stir in the grated carrots.
- Place a medium-mesh strainer over the bowl and sift in the oat flour, sweet rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Heat a griddle or wide skillet over medium-low heat. When the pan is hot, coat with a thin film of oil.
- Drop the batter by 1/3 cups onto the hot griddle, spacing them well apart. Cook until golden on the bottom and bubbling on top, 2-3 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the second side until golden on the bottom and mostly cooked through, 2-3 more minutes. If the pan becomes too hot, lower the heat. The cakes will continue to cook from residual heat when removed from the pan.
- Place the pancakes on a wire rack in a low oven to keep warm if you like.
- Meanwhile, combine the mascarpone, cream, maple syrup, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment (or use a large bowl and a whisk or electric beater). Whip on high speed until the mixture mounds softly, 1-2 minutes. Chill until needed.
- Top the pancakes with whipped mascarpone, walnuts, cinnamon, and shaved carrots, passing the maple stream at the table.