Cook 30 m
Ready In 3 h
- 1 1/2 cups 2% or whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Coombs Family Farms Grade A Dark Color, Robust Taste Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pie pumpkin)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar or maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Heat milk over low heat in a small saucepan until barely steaming but not boiling.
Whisk eggs and syrup in a large bowl until smooth. Gently whisk in the warm milk (a little bit at a time so the eggs don’t cook). Add pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt; whisk until blended.
Divide the mixture among six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) custard cups. Skim foam from the surface. Place custard cups in roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the custard cups. Place the pan in the oven and bake, uncovered, until custards are just set but still quiver in the center when shaken, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer custards to a wire rack and let cool for 45 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until chilled.
To serve, top each custard with a dollop of maple whip cream and a sprinkling of crystallized ginger.
Can be made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.